Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tired, Sunburnt, Frazzled, but Successful

Joel and I have been working the Dizzy Dean tournament this weekend. We have been selling flip flops and lanyards. I started Thursday and Joel is finishing it all up tonight. We have been there for some 12 hours a day. Our city hosted both softball and baseball. I think there were over 250 teams total. Take 250 multiply 10 to 12 kids per team and then their parents, siblings, and grandparents. That's a lot of people. Every hotel in a 20 mile radius has been booked. There has once again been such an outpouring of support and interest. I will announce our grand total later. We have sold a TON of flip flops and lots of lanyards.

The lanyards came as an inspiration from working a tournament earlier in the month. I nice older gentleman came up to me and said that he wished he had some type of device to hold his week pass in. That way he wouldn't lose it and it would be nice and clean as a memento of his grandson's hard work. So I checked into it and ordered some for this tournament. The boy's field sold a lot more than the girls. They are at two different locations. I have to tell you that there is nothing like watching this tournament. Parents are so so serious about baseball. They travel all summer to ball games. Joel talked to one mom who was interested in adoption about our adoption fees. He told her that when it is all said and done that we will probably pay close to $20,000. She said "oh, well that is what we spend in a season for baseball." That seems wild but I believe it. If you think about the fees to play in tournaments, uniforms, banners, hotels, food, etc. Not to mention that you need a team ball bag, team back pack, heaven knows what else. Mom's have to have a team purse, jersey, chair and shoes. The brothers and sisters of theses teams also have outfits to match. Babies w/ little outfits to match including baseball bows. Then the whole team has to decorate their cars so that we know where they are from and what position and team number little Johnny has. Blows my mind. They are very serious and very competitive. We have professional fields and the staff conducts themselves very seriously.

I worked the softball fields both Fri. and Sat. That is a whole different world. I was set up by the the 6 and under girls. These little girls were just as serious as the big girls. They could play ball. Their coaches pitched the balls to them but they could hit it and play the field too. These girls have worked hard all summer to get to the point that they are at.

I have had so much fun getting to know some great people from around the country. I met a great gal from Holly Pond, AL. Population 700. She was a teacher and had t shirts to match my shoes to a T. There was a booth set up next to me that air brushed helmets. Who knew there was a market for this? They painted about 70 helmets a day. I got to know the girlfriend and she was so sweet. The Post Office set up next to Joel and he of course befriended them. He never meets a stranger which is why he is good in sales. I asked him if he was embarrassed by selling girls flip flops and he said no. This is one more way of getting our baby home.

I have been able to tell our story over and over again. Everyone was gracious. I am sure that some folks thought that we were crazy. Some were surprised that we had biological children.

One last thing. I cannot thank Andrea, Scotty and Lori enough. They are the guys that make this whole crazy ball tournament work. They have been SOOO gracious and helpful. Really, everyone that worked for S was helpful. We have truly been shown favor and anything we needed they got. They certainly had enough on their plate yet they wanted to make sure that we were successful. Can't say for sure but I feel like we will be back next year.

P.S. There is no possible way that we could have made this weekend happen if my parents were not here to help. They fetched, toted, babysat, etc. Mom picked up my responsibilities at church. And of course, she does it the way I like it. I love my parents. Also, my brother helped too which I so appreciate.

No comments: