Saturday, September 22, 2007

What's in a Name?

We have been talking about our little "Popcorn" all day. We had a wonderful day watching Florida beat Ole Miss. We sat right smack in the middle of Ole Miss fans. There was the nicest couple sitting behind us and they helped restore some of my image of Ole Miss fans. Joel got some dirty looks but no direct comments as he cheered his beloved Gators on. It's a treat for him to see them play. He eats, drinks, and sleeps football.


OK, back to Patsakorn. When we received the meaning of his name it made me fall more in love with him. I knew that his American name must be as special. It is the hardest thing for me. Joel is OK with a couple of names. I like them too but am torn. Please comment and give me your opinion. Now, don't get your feelings hurt if we chose the opposite way. One name is very common and is 4 letters long. It is Hebrew for "appointed." I LOVE it. Patsakorn's name will mean "appointed powerful man". You can't get better than that. On the other hand the other name that we like is a family name. It means "warlike". It is Joel's middle name and it used to be common. It is also biblical. I am just not crazy about it. Besides, no child under the name of 10 has this name. What should I do? Joel doesn't care either way. I have that mommy guilt thinking that our adopted child doesn't have a family name. Will he read something into it? Will he feel left out? Kara's middle name is a family name and Will's first and middle is a family name. On the other hand, what if he hates it b/c it might be perceived as an old name by the time he's older? Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was never sorry that I gave my daughter the name that we loved. And, I was never sorry that I kept her original name, either. But, I do wish that I had given her a family name as a middle name (as is tradition in our family), too. She would have had two middle names, but both would have been very meaningful.

Anonymous said...

Names are so important that it is a hard decision for sure. I suggest that for the next few months you say the string of names (first middle last) together to yourself often and maybe this will give you a 'feel' of what one sounds right together. Something that you may not know about Thais, though most of them have these long difficult to pronounce names, they ALL go by short nicknames like Dang or Oui, or Na.
Good luck!
~Sondra
http://thaiustogether.blogdrive.com