Sunday, October 14, 2007

Land of Cotton

It's cotton picking time here in the south. As we were coming home from camping the tractors were humming as they were harvesting the cotton fields. We stopped and picked a few bolls to save for our trip to Thailand. I thought that we would bring it to the foster family to show them what we grow in our area. They are farmers too. Like I said before, I am not a country girl but I do like to watch the cotton crop. I like to see the huge bales of cotton in the fields that show the fruits of the farmer's labor. From what I understand this was a good year for cotton. Nice and dry. We live near the delta which has some of the richest soil in the world. The landscape is changing down in the delta (around 20 miles from here) as some farmers are switching their crops to corn. They are growing it for the ethanol - a corn based fuel. Here's a place to learn more about cotton. The National Cotton Council is in Memphis. When I was little my parents took me to the Cotton Carnival that was held downtown. The king and queen of cotton would arrive on a river boat. They had rides, food, etc. on the banks of the Mississippi River. It was exciting and something that I loved. Maybe that's why I love to watch the cotton fields.

The sun was bright and I couldn't get the kids to look at the camera


1 comment:

Hannah said...

I have a new appreciation for my t-shirts :) It looks so soft and beautiful - corn's no fun stick with cotton! :) We have corn fields up here in the Flatlands, not nearly as nice to look at.